Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Ideas

Sorry to be late in posting this week. I lost a beloved friend from high school to cancer yesterday. I've been thinking of nothing else.

I'd like to talk about ideas. I think we may have touched on this subject, but let's talk about it again.

Ideas are everywhere. They come out of the blue. They come from seeing something - a picture, a friend, a movie, another book. The Bible says there's nothing new under the sun, so when we get an idea, we have to make sure we give it enough of a twist to make it fresh.

Where do your ideas come from? How do you decide which ideas are keepers? How do your life experiences help? How do they hinder?

Let's talk!

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear your sad news, Pam. My thoughts are with you.

    I don't have many ideas, so I can't say much. I just take one idea and work it to death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get so many ideas (actually, correction, I get characters that march up to my brain, rudely barge in, and shove their story into my face "ISN'T IT AWESOME?!) ANYway, I get it from all sorts of things. Playing games with my sister for one, or reading a good book. Taking a walk, and listening to music. Even just talking with God or sharing and inside joke with a friend. Drawing. Drawing's a biggie.

    My prayers are with you, Mrs. Halter. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My ideas come so randomly and sporadically that I couldn't pinpoint a particular place. The things I get my ideas from usually absolutely unrelated to the idea, like I'll see a picture of an ice field and run off to write a story about an old woman living alone in a forest. Or a line will suddenly strike me out of my dream at 3:30 am. Which is when I really hate my muse.

    I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, I pray that He will bring you comfort and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about your friend, Pam. May God comfort you as only He can.

    My ideas often come from Scripture! :-O Yep, for fantasy stories. Not that I "rewrite" them in a fantasy setting or anything, though I've thought about that too.

    Also, for settings I think of places I've been and take a variety of elements from each.

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your condolences. I appreciate them so much!

    ReplyDelete